While reading this post, I hope you remember your school history books of schooldays. Probably you can recall the name like Kamboj or Kampuchia, King Yashovarman , Indravarman, Suryavarman and Angkor Wat Temple of Lord Vishnu. Now relate those name in modern world. Kamboj is present Cambodia, a country in South East Asia, which is famous as a land of wonder. Angkor Wat Archeological Park containing the numerous ruins of giant temples made by earlier Hindu kings in Cambodia is one of the most impressive tourist destinations across the world. Its relation with India dates back many centuries and both the countries share many common cultural and religious values. After many years of political instability, dictatorship and isolation, this country opens its door to the world a decade ago and now tourism in Cambodia is increasing day by day. Many Indians are also traveling to Cambodia to explore its magnificent temples, impressive colonial structures and remains of its notorious Khmer Rogue. This post is compiled to provide some information on the process of getting a visa for Cambodia visit.
Breaking News: Thailand and Cambodia are agreed to implement a single visa scheme, known as ACMECS Single Visa, that allows tourists to visit both the countries on a single visa from Dec 27, 2012 onwards. Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam are expected to join this single visa scheme soon. To know more about ACMECS Single Visa, check this post.
Proceed further on this post to know about Cambodia Visa separately.
How to get a Visa for Cambodia Trip ? As an Indian Citizen, you have three options to get a visa for Cambodia. First, you can get a Visa-on-Arrival, second to get an Electronic Visa (e-visa) online and third is to apply at Embassy of Cambodia to get a Visa Stamped on your passport prior to your departure. Let us know about each options one by one:
1. Visa-On-Arrival: Cambodia offers a Visa-on-Arrival for the Indian Citizens. You can get a visa-on-arrival at following ports of entry depending on your mode of travel:
1. Phnom Penh International Airport
2. Seam Reap International Airport
By Road :
At Cambodia-Thailand border
1. Cham Yeam International checkpoint
2. Poipet International checkpoint
3. O’Smach International checkpoint
Apart from these, three additional international checkpoints are also listed at Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia website (click here for the relevant page), where Visa-on-Arrival facility is available. I have confirmed this information from some other websites also.
At Cambodia-Vietnam border
1. Bavet International checkpoint
2. Kha Orm Sam Nor (Kaam Samnor) International checkpoint
Apart from these, seven additional international checkpoints are also listed at Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia website, where Visa-on-Arrival facility is available. I have confirmed this information from some other websites also.
At Cambodia-Laos Border:
Only at the website of Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia, it is mentioned that the Visa-On-Arrival is available at Trapaing Kreal international border checkpoint, if coming by road from Laos. This information is also confirmed. However, many websites and travel forums still suggest that Visa-On-Arrival is available at Dom Kralor(Dongkralaw) border checkpoint while entering in Cambodia from Laos, but this checkpoint is no longer exist. It has now moved to 6 kms North and known as Trapaing Kreal international border checkpoint.
Documents Requirements for Visa-On-Arrival: To get a Visa-on- Arrival, you should have the following documents:
1. Passport in original with minimum 6 months validity
2. One recent photograph, preferably with white background (4×6 cm)
3. 20 USD Visa fee in cash
4. Return confirm flight ticket. If you are intended to return by road, you must have a cover letter stating this with the valid visa of the next country, i.e.,Thailand or Vietnam. Please be informed that you can not get Visa on Arrival in Thailand if traveling overland from Cambodia at Aranyaprophet Checkpoint. But if you already have a valid visa for Thailand, you can enter in Thailand via this checkpoint.
5. Bank Statements, Credit Card Copy or at least 500 USD in Cash as a proof of sufficient fund for 15 days.
Visa Validity: Visa-on-Arrival is valid for next 3 months from the date of issue, but duration of stay is restricted to 30 days for a single entry. It means if you get a visa on arrival today, you have to leave Cambodia on 30th day from today, however your visa will be valid till the end of 3rd month from today.
Visa Extension: If you want to stay more than 30 days, you can request for the extension of Visa at Immigration Counter outside Phnom Penh Airport at the cost of USD 25. The visa is extended for maximum 30 days.
Important Note: Visitors will be fined USD 5.00 per day for overstay.
2. e-Visa of Cambodia: The best way to get a Cambodian Visa is to apply online for e-visa. There are many apprehension regarding this and people generally don’t trust on this process. But, when I tried it during my own journey to Cambodia, I found it quite easy and hassle free. It costs 8.00 USD extra, but that is nothing in comparison to convenience offered by this process.
About e-Visa: This service has been launched by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, that enables travelers to apply for an online visa before entering into the Kingdom of Cambodia. The whole process is online and payment can be done by a credit card. After receiving the visa, you have to just keep the print out of this to enter in Cambodia. This service is only applicable to the Tourist Visa.
Salient Features of e-Visa:
Type of Visa : Tourist Visa
Entry Type : Single Entry Only
Visa Fee : USD 20 + USD 5 (Processing Fee) + USD 3 (Additional Bank Charges)
Validity : 3 months starting from the date of issue
Length of Stay: 30 days
Processing Time: 3 business days
Requirement : A passport validity of more than six months balance at time of entry, a recent passport-size photo in digital format (JPEG or PNG format), a valid credit card (Visa/MasterCard).
Photo Specifications: Photo will be uploaded online during the e-visa application. It must be in JPEG, PNG or BMP format and size must be less than 1 MB.
Exempted Countries: Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia
Countries not supported by e-visa: Afghanistan, Algeria, Arab Saudi, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Nigeria (Citizens of these countries have to apply for a Visa from their nearest embassy or on-arrival, if applicable, at all major checkpoints. ).
Extension of e-Visa: Tourist (T) visa can be extended upto to stay for 30 more days at Cambodian National Police Immigration Department, Ministry of Interior.
Address: No. 332, Russian Boulevard, Opposite of the Phnom Penh International Airport, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Tel: (+855) 12 581 558
Fax: (+855) 23 890 101 / (+855) 23 890 439
Hotline (24 hour): 012 826 025
Visa Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Required documents for Visa Extension:
+ e-Visa certificate (e-Visa holder)
+ applicant’s passport
+ 2 photographs (size 4×6)
+ appropriate visa fee USD 25.
Processing time for Visa Extension: 2 business days
Please note that every entry and exit ports of Cambodia do not support e-visa. This table will give a good idea on this:
Some Important Points to Remember:
1. If you are not sure about your traveling date, you can always change that even after applying for an e-visa. But that date should be within the validity period of e-visa.
2. Visa extension is not allowed on e-visa website.
3. Each visa is valid for single entry only. If you wish to go to another country and then again back to Cambodia within a short period, you have to apply for two e-visas.
4. No visa are required for the children under 12 years old. As long as they don’t have their own passport and are traveling with parent’s passport, they don’t need a visa to enter in Kingdom of Cambodia. But, All children above 12 years old requires a Visa, whether they are traveling with parent’s passport or with their own passport.
5. If your trip is delayed and e-visa is expired, you can not change the dates. You have to apply for a fresh e-visa.
6. No sticker will be issued to you for e-Visa. Please print out 2 copies of this e-Visa certificate. Pass one (1) copy to immigration as your travel Visa at entry and one (1) copy upon departure. For your convenience, you may cut your printed e-Visa and staple to your passport. As long as they are clear, Black and White printouts are acceptable.
7. You are required to fill out departure and arrival cards at the entry and exit point.
8. At the checkpoint, please go directly to the e-Visa immigration counter for processing. Look for e-Visa signboard. If not sure, please approach the officer for instructions to avoid unnecessary delay. For Siem Reap Airport, please go to any counter from 02- 08. For Phnom Penh Airport, please go to any counter from 03 – 09.
Caution: Again, Please be informed that all ports of entry do not support e-visa.
How to apply for e-visa ? You can apply for an e-visa at the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which link is this:
Before applying for the visa, just click on the Read how to apply tab of the above weblink page. This link will give you a detailed information regarding each and every step of application and payment process.
After applying for e-visa, I received two mails regarding the reference number and payment success status. On third day of application, I received the Cambodian e-visa in my inbox.
3. Apply for Visa at The Embassy: Alternatively, you can also apply at the Cambodian Embassy in New Delhi for a Tourist Visa.
Embassy Address is:
Royal Embassy of Cambodia
New Delhi-110017, India
Documents Required: Following documents are required to get a visa, if you are applying at the Embassy of Cambodia in New Delhi:
1. A passport in original and must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of application (photocopy of the first, second and last pages)
2. Two visa forms (photocopy allowed). Download Visa Form
3. Two passport-size photographs, preferably with white background (4 x 6 cm)
4. A covering letter from the Applicant.
5. Confirmed onward/ return air ticket.If you are intended to return by road, you must have a cover letter stating this with the valid visa of the next country i.e., Thailand or Vietnam.
6. Hotel booking.
7. Proof of sufficient funds.
1. Visa is issued for 1 month with a maximum stay of 1 month. This can further be extended in Cambodia.
2. Processing time is 2 to 3 working day.
3. An additional fee is levied for express service (same day delivery of visa).
4. For single entry Tourist visa fee is INR 1600 and for same day urgent visa (single entry tourist visa) is INR 2300.